Thursday, February 8, 2007

finnish dinner after lecture

Today I was on Culture, History and Identity lecture. It was with a new teacher Gerald Porter. He was talking about some british stereotypes and the role of Wales, Scotland and Ireland in constructing "Englishness". I took a book from home in case of boredom, but it wasn't necessary. The lecture was realy interesting. Mr Porter talked very interestingly even about unattractive things.


After the lecture I went to Christian's (one of the tiutors) place for a dinner with finnish traditional food. There were also other exchange students.















As a starter he served us karjalanpirakka with egg-butter. I had tried it before, but these were much better.

Than main-course: roasted meet of elk in gravy souce, pure and carrot salad. I have never tried it before and I realy wanted to know how it taste. Let me describe by one word: delicious :P You should try it!

After that, when we were already full Christian served a dessert. In finnish it's mämmi. At the first glance it doesn't look nice, because it's thick black gunk and look like a sh.. (quess what?). It is made of rye flour, malt of rye flour, oranges, water, sugar and soil. We ate it with sweet cream and sugar. Despite the ugly outlook it tastes nice. Christian said that he doesn't know any person from abroad, who likes it. But we (that is Polish, Austrians, Mexicans) realy liked it.


Thank you Christian for a delicous food, which I can state as a new experience.

Good night :)

No comments: