Monday, February 19, 2007

Survival Finnish

Credits: 2 ECTS credits
Objective and course content: The course offers students some basic knowledge of the
Finnish language needed in everyday life.
Methods of study: Lectures and exercises 20 hours
Requirements for the credit units: Active participation in lectures and exercises
Literature: Provided by the teacher
Language of instruction: English

The course was on 3rd and 4th week. It was very intensive. Why? We had classes every day for two weeks at 8:30 in the morning. It was very hard to get up and the darkness outside made it more difficult. However I like that course :)
But finnish language is still a big riddle for me. It's very hard to learn and understand.
What is more:
  • no articles,
  • no gender,
  • many endings and suffixes, eg. autossa - in car BUT autossani - in my car. That's why sometimes words are very long and difficult to tell,
  • many similar words, which meaninis is totally different, eg. kokoo - to gather, koko - whole, kokko - bonfire; or tuli - fire, tuuli - wind, tulli - customer.
Generally, I'm satisfied of the course. I learned some bacis useful words. I was so glad about myself when I was going to univeristy one day and some guy said to me "huomenta" and I knew what he meaned :)

No comments: